2018 Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program
The New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) is making funding available to support bicycle, pedestrian, multi-use path and non-motorized transportation-related projects as well as programs and projects that reduce congestion and improve air quality.
Administered by the NYSDOT, these funds are made available to the State through the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) and the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ). Combined, NYSDOT's TAP-CMAQ program provides reimbursement of up to 80 percent of project-related costs with the remaining 20 percent provided by project sponsors.
Applications are being accepted through August 16, 2018. For more information please visit: https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/opdm/local-programs-bureau/tap-cmaq
(E-mail message sent to GTC member agencies and municipal leaders on Wednesday, May 23: https://conta.cc/2x71OB6)
Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) Transportation Discretionary Grants
On Friday, April 20, 2018, the U.S. Department of Transportation announced that it has published a Notice of Funding Opportunity for $1.5 billion available under the Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) Transportation Discretionary Grants program. This is the successor to the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant program and uses funding from the recently adopted Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2018.
BUILD grants can be used for capital projects, including but not limited to: 1) highway, bridge, or other road project eligible under Title 23 of the US Code; 2) public transportation projects eligible under Title 49 of the US Code; and 3) passenger and freight rail transportation projects. Grants will be awarded on a competitive basis and will be evaluated against specified criteria.
The media release can be found at https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot3218.
The BUILD program will award grants on a competitive basis. Applications are due by July 19, 2018. The USDOT has already scheduled several webinars for prospective applicants:
- All applicants – Thursday, May 24
- Rural and Tribal applicants – Tuesday, May 29
- How to prepare the required Cost/Benefit Analysis – Thursday, May 31
The USDOT will be maintain a website for the BUILD program (https://www.transportation.gov/BUILDgrants) where information will continue to be added.